The law firm of Dougherty, Hanneman & Snedaker, LLC ("DHS") is located in Columbus, Ohio, and serves clients throughout Central Ohio. It limits its practice exclusively to:
- Family Law
Client concerns about divorce, dissolution and family relations law issues may include child custody, child support, child visitation (parenting time), enforcement of court orders (contempt), establishment of parent-child relationships (paternity), grandparent visitation, post-decree modification of child custody and child support, post-decree modification of spousal support, prenuptial (premarital) agreements, property division, shared parenting agreements, spousal support (alimony), taxes and other family relations law matters. Please click the links at the left and the tabs above to access helpful information.
How to Hire a Law Firm: Some Thoughts
Prospective clients sometimes ask us for guidance to help them select a law firm. We usually suggest that they do these things to help assure a good decision.
- Web site. Visit and carefully read the law firm’s Web site, to get to know the firm and the attorneys
- Attorney Profile. Read the "attorney profile" on the firm’s Web site to gauge experience and expertise (is one or more attorneys an Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist in Family Relations Law?)
- Success Stories. Read the "Success Stories" on the firm’s Web site, to see if they have handled some family law issues similar to yours
- Confidential Consultation. Conduct a confidential consultation with two or three law firms using an outline you prepare, to ensure that your questions and concerns are answered
- Deliberate and Decide. Thoughtfully consider the pros and cons of each law firm, recognizing that rational thought and personal emotions are important influences in your law firm selection decision
Specialist Knowledge and Expertise in Family Relations Law
- Certified Specialists in Family Relations Law – The three founding members of the law firm, Douglas Dougherty, James Hanneman and Robert Snedaker, are board certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a Certified Specialist in Family Relations Law. They are three of only 116 attorneys in Ohio who have earned this designation as of January 1, 2014.
- Experience of 100+ Years – The three founding attorneys, along with their of-counsel attorneys, have a combined experience in excess of 100 years in asserting and protecting the rights of Ohio families, spouses, parents and children.
- Expertise in Complex Asset Cases – The attorneys at DHS have extensive experience in representing clients with complex assets including business interests, professional practices, pension and retirement plans.
- Service as Speakers at Legal Education Seminars – The three founding members of DHS have written and lectured in numerous legal education seminars, which provided information and guidance about intermediate and advanced family law issues to other attorneys, mediators and various professionals.
- Service as Chairman of the Columbus Bar Association’s Family Law Committee – Each of the three founding members of DHS has served as chairman of the Family Law Committee of the Columbus Bar Association
So, the DHS firm has the expertise and experience to assist individuals, business owners and professionals, in navigating all the potential pitfalls of marital dissolutions, divorces and other family law matters. The attorneys have the knowledge and skills to handle all types of family law matters from simple marriage dissolutions to multifaceted marital issues, such as complex property divisions, support matters and prenuptial arrangements.
The DHS law firm understands that it works for the client and that the client is the decision maker. The firm’s job is to help solve client legal problems as appropriately and expeditiously as possible. That is why we say the DHS firm is client-focused.
Perhaps you have inquired of family, friends or acquaintances about their divorce, dissolution or other family law matter. Their information may or may not provide you valid insight and perspective. That is because your marital situation and potential solutions are unique. Your case requires a personal legal strategy rather than a routine approach.
To develop your personal legal strategy requires that you describe your situation candidly and for the DHS attorney to carefully listen. Then the DHS attorney uses a three-step approach to create your personal legal strategy as shown below.
- First, the attorney educates the client regarding his or her various legal options. This includes a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
- Second, the client determines which option or options are best.
- Third, the firm’s attorneys work diligently to implement the client’s decisions.
Please contact DHS for a confidential consultation with Attorneys Dougherty, Hanneman or Snedaker to receive some insight and perspective about your situation.
The DHS law firm recognizes that many clients wish to keep their private affairs out of the public domain. The attorneys assist clients in reaching this goal by providing them with many options to keep their legal affairs private. These optional practices include private hearings at the law firm with private judges, out-of-court private agreements, out-of-county filings, non-disclosure agreements or other methods designed to maintain the client’s privacy.
Alternatives to Expensive Litigation
For clients concerned about the high cost of divorce or the personal acrimony associated with a contested case, the attorneys at DHS provide their clients with alternative dispute resolution methods including:
- Collaborative divorce
- Divorce mediation
- Customized approaches to settle family relations disputes with dignity and cost efficiency
The DHS law firm attorneys have produced successful outcomes for many family law clients. Please click here to read about success stories that reflect various family law issues. Perhaps you will see your marital issues reflected in one or more of these brief stories.
Please contact DHS for a confidential consultation with attorney Dougherty or Hanneman or Snedaker. Each is an Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist in Family Relations Law. They are three of only 115 attorneys in Ohio who have earned this designation as of January 1, 2013. Less than one-half (1/2) of one (1) percent of all family relations attorneys registered in Ohio has achieved this status!
DHS is located in a safe, convenient northwest Columbus suburb with free on-site parking. The building is west of the intersection of Sawmill Road and Bethel Road. (Bethel Road becomes Hayden Road west of the Sawmill Road intersection.) The offices are in the classic redbrick Northwest Law Offices Building:
- next to Bravo! Cucina Italiana Restaurant,
- on the north side of Hayden Road, and
- east of Riverside Drive (State Route 33).
Then turn onto Donnylane Boulevard from Hayden Road. Then turn right into the parking lot behind the building. The main entrance is at the rear of the building.